Refine your search...

Type of Venue






Or Venue Name


image for Waypoint item typeSherrard Street

Melton Heritage Trail


Melton Carnegie Museum


Melton Mowbray,
LE13 1RB


Sherrard Street, named after the Earl of Harborough's family, used to be called the Beast Market, as livestock was bought and sold here. John Nichols wrote in the eighteenth century 'The great and steady support of the markets, however, is the shew of cattle, every fortnight, the most considerable in this part of England.' There was a smelly open ditch and a health report of 1885 blamed this as a reason for poor health in the town, also mentioning a slaughter pit containing blood, offal and toilet waste emptied only twice a year.

Across the road next to the bank was the site of the Limes, a Jacobean House home to the Hudson family who built the Bede House and later a hunting lodge before being demolished. There is an alms door from the Limes in Egerton Lodge's Memorial Gardens.

Further down Sherrard Street by the nail shop was the site of the Elms, another grand home with gardens that stretched to Mill Street near the railway station. The Duke of Rutland's estate agent married his daughter and they lived here, despite the Dowager Duchess's disapproval. Fortunately she reconciled with her daughter and lived in the Poplars, the three-storey white building opposite and behind the butchers and pharmacy. When visiting her daughter, instead of crossing the road, she would take a carriage down the road, turn around and pass the Sage Cross to arrive at the Elms.

Trail: Melton Heritage Trail

Waypoint: 16


See location of Sherrard Street on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 753191  Lat: 52.76452 Long: -0.88434