Official visitor website for Leicestershire

Shortlist symbol Add to shortlist button.


A Brief History of Whitwick Colliery

By Jeffrey Knight

In April 1827 William Stenson went into partnership with James Whetstone and Samuel Smith Harris.

Coal was reached at the new colliery in April 1828 when the seam called the Minge coal was reached. Later that month a wagon laden with Whitwick coal was driven about the town of Leicester preceded by a band playing music.

More Information

loading...
loading...
Item

Also Available...