Discover Leicester's Search for King Richard III
The story of the downfall of last Plantagenet king of England took place in Leicester and across the county. Richard spent the last night of his life at the Blue Boar Inn in Leicester and lost his life at the Battle of Bosworth. The following day his body was returned to Leicester.
As a result of the work carried out by the University of Leicester we now know that the long held story of the remains of Richard III being dug up and thrown into the River Soar has been a complete fable. The body has lain for the last 500 years in the city and will continue to rest here in its new home in Leicester Cathedral.
To discover more for yourself about this fascinating story come and spend a few days in Leicestershire and visit the sites that have played such a pivotal role in the history of England, book a year-round Richard III short break from just £79.00.
Break for 2 people from £79.00. Family breaks for 2 adults and 2 children from £89.00.
Take a city break in Leicester, where Richard III spent his last night before an untimely death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, and enjoy exploring historical connections to the king by foot.
Our Richard III City Break includes:
- Hotel B&B one night at either The Belmont Hotel, Ramada Encore or Holiday Inn Leicester City. Afternoon tea at The Belmont Hotel. Free Richard III information pack with self guided walk leaflet, archaeological dig and historical factsheets and details about Leicester's Guildhall exhibition (free venue)
- Hotel B&B one night, choice of The Belmont Hotel, Ramada Encore, Holiday Inn Leicester City or Hinckley Island Hotel. Entrance tickets to Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre. Afternoon tea at The Belmont Hotel. Free Richard III info pack as detailed above plus Donington le Heath Manor House entry (free venue).
Optional extra - Richard III Guided Walk:
- £4.00 per person, subject to availability, scheduled walks take place on Saturdays at 11am. Places should be booked directly by guests prior to booking their short break booking if the walk is an essential element. Please note that booking a Richard III short break does not guarantee a place(s) on the walk.
To book your short break or check availability and prices, click on the hotel images/links below or telephone 0844 888 5181 / 0116 299 4444 to speak to one of our booking specialists.
The Belmont Hotel - Richard III short break
Holiday Inn Leicester City - Richard III short break
Hinckley Island Hotel - Richard III short break
Ramada Encore Leicester - Richard III short break
Terms and Conditions
- Blue Badge Guide walking tours are subject to the availability of a guide at the time you or your group would like to take the tour. The cost of a walking tour (£4.00 per person) is not included in the price of your short break. Payment for the walking tours must be made to the guide on the day of the tour and before the tour takes place. Age limits: There are no age limits, although the story of Richard III’s Leicester Connections is not specifically aimed at children. However, we may be able to tailor tours for children by prior arrangement.
- Each short break experience is subject to availability and booking in advance is essential to avoid disappointment.
- Each experience may only be visited once as part of a short break package.
- Please keep your booking form safe as Leicester Shire Promotions or the attractions/hotels participating in this promotion cannot replace lost/misplaced/stolen tickets. Any defacing or changes to this ticket will render it invalid and photocopies are not accepted.
- This offer is subject to change without notice.
For full terms and conditions please call Visit Leicester 0844 888 5181. Calls will be answered Monday-Saturday 9.30am - 5.30.00pm and Sundays 11am - 5.00pm. Or call in to Visit Leicester, 51 Gallowtree Gate, Leicester.
Promoter: Leicester Shire Promotions, 7-9 Every Street, Town Hall Square, Leicester LE1 6AG