North West Leicestershire
The earliest known record of this village is in 1125 and its earlier history is obscure. About a mile to the south is a small field surrounded by a moat which has been identified as an ancient fortified dwelling enclosure of pre-Roman times. Although Dark Age in date, excavations have uncovered much Roman pottery and the site is now scheduled as an ancient monument.
The Parish Church of Belton is a 14th century structure with a later perpendicular tower, clorestory and roof. It contains the recumbent effigy tomb of Lady Roesia de Verdun, foundress of the nearby Grace Dieu Priory, and Frances Beaumont, Justice of the Common Pleas, was also buried in the church on 22nd April 1598. The registers go back to 1538.
•The Queens Head Gastro pub with restaurant, bistro and accommodation in the village.
•Grace Dieu Priory ruins stand in a valley bottom bounded by a small brook on the edge of Charnwood Forest a couple of miles from Belton and are situated on the A512 road from Loughborough to Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire
•Belton used to be famous for its horse fair, once one of the largest in the country, which was held annually at the beginning of July.
•The village maypole, painted red,white & blue, stands in the Market Place and is used annually when local school children dance their Mayday celebrations and crown their May Queen.